Object ID 004163
Object Name Blatz growler
Object Desc 11.5 inch tall Blatz amber bottle with white ceramic external stopper and metal handle. Painted Blatz label on front and back with red lettering.
Collection General Collection
Accession # CMY004149
General Category History
Source Category Found In Collection
Accession Date JAN 10,1991
Location Room 9, Shelf 22
Start Year Range 1929
End Year Range 1960
Status On-Site Collection Storage
Object Keywords Blatz,bottles,Val Blatz,beer,growler,
Title Blatz Large Bottle w/ Ceramic Stopper
Description A 11.5 inch tall large amber Blatz bottle with a white ceramic external stopper. Bottle has embrossed rings around the base, middle, and neck. The bottle has a metal handle attached by two metal rings that wrap around the body and neck of the bottle. The front and back sides of the bottle have painted labeling with lettering in red and background in a whtie/cream color. The label consists of the word "Blatz" with a white/cream color banner as the background. Around one of the openings of the white ceramic stopper "Germany" is embrossed. On the base in very small lettering "B I078" is embrossed in the glass. On the bottom of the bottle is a makers mark for the Owens-Illinois Glass Company with the numbers '0' and '6' on the left and right sides and a '1' above it.
Approx Collection Date
Unit of Measure Inches/ounces
Place of Origin
Maker Blatz Brewing Co.
Maker Details Founded by John Braun in 1846, shortly before Wisconsin achieved statehood, and was originally called the City Brewery. Braun's fledgling business produced about 150 barrels of beer annually - until 1851 when Valentine Blatz, a former employee, established a brewery of his own next door to the City Brewery. Braun died later that year and Blatz soon married his widow, thereby uniting the City Brewery and his own operation. he brewery's growth continued, and in 1884 Blatz ranked as the third-largest beer producer in Milwaukee. Blatz was the first Milwaukee brewer to market beer nationally. In 1890 Blatz sold his brewery to a group of London investors, who continued to operate the plant until Prohibition. Blatz brewery flourished, producing over a million barrels annually during the 1940s and 1950s. By 1955 only six Milwaukee breweries remained open. Of these six, Miller, Pabst and Schlitz were the biggest and most successful. Blatz is still operating today.
Maker Mark Diamond & Oval intertwined with I in center
Date APR 24,2016
Summary Excellent Condition
Assessor Nicole Burdick
Notes Bottle has no scratching or chips. Metal parts are slightly rusted.