visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Dr. Miles Tonic
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 004058

Object Name Dr. Miles Tonic

Object Desc 8 fl oz. white cardboard packaging for Dr. Miles Tonic. Center image shows two women's heads facing opposite directions within a circle.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY004046

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Medical

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 3, Shelf 5

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords tonic,medicine,Dr. Miles Medical Co,


Title Dr. Miles Tonic

Description Cardboard packaging is white (has been worn and discolored) with black accents. All labels around the box have a decorative boarder; the front reads "Dr. Miles' Tonic / Contains 10% alcohol / prepared at the / Dr. Miles Medical Cos / Laboratory" In the center is a portait of two women's heads in profile facing opposide directions. The left side label has a list of ingredients and a list of harmful ingredients that the tonic does not contain. The right side of the package is a statement for purpose and on the back is a more detailed description of the tonic's purpose. There is some staining throughout the packaging and it is taped on the back and toward the top.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 8.5

Length 0

Width 3

Depth 1.75

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Dr. Miles Medical Co.s Laboratory

Maker Details Miles Laboratories was founded as the Dr. Miles Medical Company in Elkhart, Indiana, in 1884 by Franklin Miles, a specialist in the treatment of eye and ear disorders, with an interest in the connection of the nervous system to overall health. Miles operated as an independent firm from 1884 until 1979 and as a wholly owned subsidiary of Bayer AG from 1979 until 1995, when it was consolidated into the parent corporation. By 1890, the sales success of his patent medicine tonic, Dr. Miles' Nervine, in treating "nervous" ailments led him to develop a mail order medicine business. Miles also published Medical News, a thinly disguised marketing vehicle for Nervine. Nervine remained on the market as a "calmative" until the late 1960s. In 1935, the name of the company was changed to Miles Laboratories.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY4046

Description

Conditions

Date MAR 18,2016

Summary Fair Condition

Assessor Nicole Burdick

Notes Cardboard packaging is dented and taped toward the top front and back. The item has been stained and discolored with wear. Top flap is bent over and has "2.00" written on it in pencil.


Events

Date MAR 18,2016

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 3, Shelf 4 from Room 3, Shelf 5 - automatic entry by admin


Date MAR 18,2016

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 3, Shelf 5 from Room 3, Shelf 4 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes