visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Delphos gas can
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 004001

Object Name Delphos gas can

Object Desc One gallon gas can made by New Delphos Mfg. Co. that is faded red in color. 3990a is can, 3990b is top lid, 3990c is black rubber ring inside top lid, and 3990d is lid on spout.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY003990a-d

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Automotive

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Garage Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords automotive,gas can,New Delphos Mfg. Co.,


Title Delphos gas can

Description One gallon sized metal gas can with wire handle, spout, and cap on top. Can painted red, with considerable wear on paint. Oval paper label on front which is red and blue. Label reads "Quality Galvanized Ware since 1898 / Delphos / 1 Gal. 3.79 liters / The New Delphos Mfg. Co. / Delphos O." Label is torn. Paper label around base with safety warning. "Gasoline" written in yellow at top of can above label. Top of can has a wire handle with red plastic grip. Top also has opening with cap (3990b) to fill can, and also spout with cap (3990d). Under 3990b is a removable black rubber ring (3990c).

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 10.5

Length 0

Width 7.5

Depth 0

Diameter 7.5

Circumference 20.5

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Delphos

Maker Details Delphos began in 1898 as the Delphos Can Company in Delphos, Ohio. Henry Leilich, one of the founders of the plant, came to Delphos from Germany in 1881. The patented non-overflow pump can was its basic product. In 1906, the name changed to the Delphos Manufacturing Company. The "new" was added to the company name in 1922.The company also produced gutters, downspouts, funnels, dustpans, water coolers, and livestock feeding systems. The company closed in 1991.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY3990a-d

Description

Conditions

Date MAR 9,2016

Summary Fair condition

Assessor Nicole Burdick

Notes Several dents in can with chipped and faded paint. Decals are scratched and missing in places.


Events

Date MAR 9,2016

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Garage Exhibit from Wonderland Park Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes