visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Blatz wooden dolly
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 003840

Object Name Blatz wooden dolly

Object Desc Wooden and metal dolly for transporting cases of Blatz products.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY003848

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Breweries

Source Antiques on Second

Source Category Donation

Accession Date NOV 5,2015

Credit/Acknowledgement Antiques on Second

Location Speakeasy Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords Blatz Brewery,breweries,beer,dolly,handtruck,


Title Blatz wooden dolly

Description Wooden and metal dolly with "Blatz Milwaukee Malt Syrup" stenciled on the two wooden sides. Dolly has metal curved handle, metal wheels, and a metal support piece on bottom to hold beer or malt syrup cases. Wood portions of dolly are stained with a dark stain. Dolly is held together with metal bolts.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 45

Length 0

Width 16

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Blatz Brewery

Maker Details Valentin Blatz established a brewery in 1850 which produced Milwaukee's first individually bottled beer in 1874. It incorporated as the Valentin Blatz Brewing Company in 1889, and by the 1900s was the city's third-largest brewer. During Prohibition, Blatz produced non-alcoholic beverages, from 1920 to 1933. In 1933, Blatz resumed brewing beer. In 1958, Pabst Brewing Company, then the nation's tenth largest brewer, acquired Blatz, the eighteenth largest, from Schenley Industries. In 1959, the federal government brought an action charging that the acquisition violated Section 7 of the Clayton Act as amended by the Celler-Kefauver Anti-Merger amendment. The sale was voided in 1959 and Blatz closed that same year. In 1960 Blatzwas sold to Pabst. In 1969, Blatz was acquired from Pabst by the G. Heileman Brewing Company. Heileman, in turn, was acquired by the Stroh Brewery Company in 1996. In 1999 it was sold to Miller who continues to produce beer under the Pabst label.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY3848

Description

Conditions

Date NOV 5,2015

Summary Good

Assessor Molly Hannan

Notes Dolly has signs of use and wear, but is in overall good condition. Finish on wood has some damage but is in overall good condition. Metal is worn and dull but intact. Object still in usable condition.


Events

Date NOV 5,2015

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On Exhibit from On-Site Collection Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date NOV 5,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Speakeasy Exhibit from Room 9 pegboard - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes