visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Milady Chocolates sign
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 003391

Object Name Milady Chocolates sign

Object Desc Framed glass sign for Milady of Quality Chocolates of Milwaukee.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY003028

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Advertising/Promo

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 4. East Wall

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords candy,Milady of Quality,chocolates,signs,American Candy Co.,


Title Milady Chocolates sign

Description Framed black with gold printing sign for Milady of Quality Chololates, includes cameo peortrait of regency lady and identifiers: American Candy Co., Milwaukee; Copyrighted by American Candy Co.

Collector

Approx Collection Date 6/03/15

Height 1

Length 22

Width 14

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker American Candy Co.

Maker Details Established on Water Street in 1884, the American Candy Co. churned out about 100,000 pounds of candy monthly, according to Historic Third Ward documents. It moved into the seven-story Broadway digs in 1902 and was best known for its “Rex” brand of fine chocolates, along with cream almonds and other mixed candies. The American Candy Co. is now known as the creator of Fun Gum Sugar Lips, or wax lips. The company moved to Selma, Ala., in 1939, folded in 2003 after filing for bankruptcy, and is now a division of Tootsie Roll. Howard B. Stark invented Snirkles in 1920 in Milwaukee, and after buying equipment from the American Candy Co. in 1939, founded the Stark Candy Co., which operated in this building for a while. William F. Stark (the founder’s grandson) sold the company to the New England Confectionery Co. in 1988, which then shut down the Pewaukee factory on May 30, 2008.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY3028

Description

Conditions

Date JUN 3,2015

Summary Good

Assessor Megan Hindman

Notes Repairs made to back


Events

Date JUN 3,2015

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On-Site Collection Storage from On-Site Collection Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date JUN 3,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 1, Closet, Floor from Room 1, Closet, Floor - automatic entry by admin


Date JUN 4,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 4. East Wall from Room 1, Closet, Floor - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes