visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Brach's Colonial heart shaped candy box
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 003261

Object Name Brach's Colonial heart shaped candy box

Object Desc Red cardboard heart shaped box with lid (A) with colonial graphic and base (B)

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002944a-b

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Candy

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 4, Shelf 5

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords candy,boxes,Valentines,chocolate,Brach's,


Title Brach's Colonial heart shaped candy box

Description Red heart shaped cardboard chcolate box with lid (A): gold logo and graphics of colnial couple dancing; base (B) on bottom has marketing copy with doily/valentine graphics, inside are 7 brown paper packing materials

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 1

Length 6.5

Width 7

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Brach's

Maker Details In 1904, Emil J. Brach opened his “Palace of Sweets” at North Avenue and Towne Street in Chicago. The output of this candy factory grew quickly, producing more than 25 tons a week by 1911 and 1,000 tons a week by 1918. In 1922, the company built a large new plant on the city's West Side; this facility, the largest candy factory in the United States, soon employed hundreds of men and women. In 1986 it was purchased by Jacobs Suchard, a Swiss company. By the end of the 1980s, Brach was still the clear leader in the bulk candy market, and the company's 3,500 workers made it the leading employer on the city's West Side. But Brach performed poorly under Suchard, which cut jobs and moved the executive offices to suburban Oakbrook Terrace. In 1994, Brach merged with the Brock Candy Co., creating a new company called Brach & Brock Confections Inc., based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2576.html

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2944a-b

Description

Conditions

Date MAY 7,2015

Summary Good

Assessor Megan Hindman

Notes a few dents and scratches


Events

Date MAY 7,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 4, Shelf 5 from Room 4, Shelf 2 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes