visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Brach's Chocolate box
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 003179

Object Name Brach's Chocolate box

Object Desc Brown and pink cardboard candy box with lid (A) and base (B)

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002864a-b

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Candy

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location On-Site Storage

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords Brach's,chocolate,candy,boxes,


Title Brach's Chocolate box

Description Brown and pink cardboard chcolate box with lid (A): graphic of an orchid and ribbon with borwin printing: Brach's Chocolates, weight, company info and ingredients list; base (B) is brown cardboard with only Brach's Chocolates rinted on either side

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 2

Length 8

Width 5

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 16

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker E.J. Brach & Sons

Maker Details In 1904, Emil J. Brach opened his “Palace of Sweets” at North Avenue and Towne Street in Chicago. The output of this candy factory grew quickly, producing more than 25 tons a week by 1911 and 1,000 tons a week by 1918. In 1922, the company built a large new plant on the city's West Side; this facility, the largest candy factory in the United States, soon employed hundreds of men and women. In 1986 it was purchased by Jacobs Suchard, a Swiss company. By the end of the 1980s, Brach was still the clear leader in the bulk candy market, and the company's 3,500 workers made it the leading employer on the city's West Side. But Brach performed poorly under Suchard, which cut jobs and moved the executive offices to suburban Oakbrook Terrace. In 1994, Brach merged with the Brock Candy Co., creating a new company called Brach & Brock Confections Inc., based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2576.html

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2864A-B

Description

Conditions

Date APR 1,2015

Summary Good

Assessor Megan Hindman

Notes Some wear on the edges and tape marks


Events

Date APR 1,2015

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On-Site Collection Storage from On-Site Collection Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date APR 1,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to On-Site Storage from On-Site Storage - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes