visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Dr. Caldwell's Senna Laxative
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 002913

Object Name Dr. Caldwell's Senna Laxative

Object Desc A rectangular orange box. It is unopened and still contains the bottle with the liquid inside.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002634

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Medical

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Bay View Pharmacy

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords Dr. Caldwell,laxative,Pepsin,medicine,


Title Dr. Caldwell's Senna Laxative

Description The box is rectangular. It has an image of Dr. Caldwell on the front in black and white. Some of the ingredients are listed near the bottom of the front panel. The side panel tells the consumer what the contents of the box should be used for. The back has the image and directions.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 6.9

Length 2.4

Width 1.3

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Caldwell

Maker Details In 1885, Dr. Wm. B. Caldwell moved from Cisco, Illiniois and began practicing medicine in Monticello. He concocted a remedy called “Caldwell’s Syrup of Pepsin” an alcoholic sugar solution containing senna, a small amount of a salicylate, a tiny amount of pepsin, and flavored with oil of peppermint and aromatics. Caldwell began manufacturing this in a drugstore below his offices. In 1893, Caldwell’s syrup of pepsin was officially marketed locally to surrounding towns, and by 1903 had achieved a national prominence. Manufacturing was started in a building west of the Wabash between Livingston and Washington Streets. In 1924, the final building phase of the four story building was completed. After several ownerships the plant was closed in 1984. The building still stands on the site.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2634

Description

Conditions

Date JAN 28,2015

Summary Excellent

Assessor Carly Sass

Notes The box itself has a few bent edges but it has never been opened.


Events

Date JAN 28,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to On-Site Storage from Bay View Pharmacy - automatic entry by admin


Date FEB 13,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 3 from On-Site Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date AUG 1,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 3, Shelf 5 from Room 3 - automatic entry by admin


Date OCT 1,2015

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On Exhibit from On-Site Collection Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date OCT 1,2015

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Bay View Pharmacy from Room 3, Shelf 5 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes