visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Clark's Flavor Parade gum tub
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 002846

Object Name Clark's Flavor Parade gum tub

Object Desc Cardboard tub originally containing an assortment of Clark's chewing gum

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002211

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Candy

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 4, Shelf 3

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords chewing gum,Clark's,Tendermint,Freshmint,Teaberry,Longchew,candy store,


Title Clark's Flavor Parade gum tub

Description Paper tub originally containing Clark's Flavor Parade assortment of chewing gum. Pictured on the side of the tub are packages of Teaberry, Tendermint, Freshmint, and Longchew gum. Packages of gum sold for one-cent. Tub is printed in color with green, red, and yellow ink. Wording reads: "Clark's Flavor Parade! ...sold and distributed throughout the world!"

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 4.75

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 16.5

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker

Maker Details David L. Clark (1864-1939) was born in Ireland and came to America when he was only eight years old. He entered the candy business working for a small manufacturer in New York. After three years as a salesman, he bought a wagon, horses, and merchandise and went into business for himself. The D. L. Clark Company was founded in 1886 when Clark started manufacturing candy in two back rooms of a small house in Pittsburgh's North Side. During his lifetime, his company became a leading candy manufacturer. By 1920 the D. L. Clark Company was making about 150 different types of candy, including several five-cent bars, specialty items and a bulk candy line. Clark was also manufacturing chewing gum in a building across the street from his candy factory. In 1921 they incorporated Clark Brothers Chewing Gum Company as a separate business which made Teaberry and Tendermint gum. By 1931, the candy bar business was so large that he sold the gum company and it was renamed the Clark Gum Company.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2211

Description

Conditions

Date JAN 8,2015

Summary Good

Assessor Molly Hannan

Notes Tub is discolored and has some damage along bottom, but is in good condition overall.


Events

Provenance

Notes