visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Johnston's metal chocolate tin
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 002794

Object Name Johnston's metal chocolate tin

Object Desc Orange-red metal tin with lid originally containing 2 pounds of Johnston's cavalier chocolates.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002557

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Candy

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 4, candy display

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords candy,chocolate,Johnston's chocolates,tins,confections,


Title Johnston's metal chocolate tin

Description Orange-red metal tin with hinged lid originally containing two pounds of Johnston's Cavalier chocolates. Lid has thick gold scroll border. Upper left has Johnston's crest logo. Lower right has the name JOHNSTON'S in script. Tin base has same gold scroll border on each side. Top of front side says "Two Pounds" on left side and "Cavalier" on right side. Interior of tin is shiny gold colored. Bottom is also gold with the following printing: Johnston's Chocolates / New York - Chicago - Milwaukee - Minneapolis - Oakland.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 2.75

Length 0

Width 9

Depth 5.5

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Johnston's Chocolates

Maker Details A Scottish immigrant named A.J. Johnston established the A.J. Johnston Confectionery and Cracker Company in 1848 as a local supplier of cookies and crackers. Within a few years the company had a regional and national reputation for high quality products. In 1899, his son Robert built the first factory and expanded the product line into chocolates and toppings. By 1920-23, a modern Art Deco manufacturing and office facility was constructed by Herman J. Esser to house all Robert A. Johnstonís operations. A multi-million dollar updating and new research and development center was implemented in the early 1990s. This seven-story building still serves as a key manufacturing plant as well as the companyís corporate headquarters. Ward Foods acquired the company in 1970 and were themselves bought out in 1980 by Terson Holdings. In the early 1990s, the company became one of the premier national suppliers of ice cream toppings & ingredients, and chocolate syrups

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2557

Description

Conditions

Date NOV 14,2014

Summary Fair

Assessor Molly Hannan

Notes Tin has lots of scratches and marks on all surfaces. Right side of tin has white splotch. Front side of box is bent outwards. Top has a 2-inch dent on right side.


Events

Provenance

Notes