visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Hibbard Watering/Oil Can
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 002403

Object Name Hibbard Watering/Oil Can

Object Desc Red painted metal can with spout, removable screw cap, and swinging handle with wooden grip.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002174a-b

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Automotive

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Garage Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords Automotive,Garage,Motor Oil,Oil Can,Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co.,cans,


Title Hibbard Watering/Oil Can

Description Painted red metal oil/watering can with removable screw cap. Screw cap has "Hibbard" stamped on top. Has spout and swinging handle with wooden grip.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 10

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 6.5

Circumference 19.5

Weight 0

Unit of Measure

Dimension Details Height is 12.00" when handle is extended.

Quantity 2

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett, and Co.

Maker Details This leading hardware dealership was the descendant of a Chicago store called Tuttle, Hibbard & Co., which took that name in 1855 when William G. Hibbard became a partner. In 1865, Hibbard was joined by Franklin F. Spencer, and the enterprise was renamed Hibbard & Spencer. By 1867, the company's annual sales of hardware had reached $1 million. When longtime company employee A. C. Bartlett became a partner in 1882, the company's name became Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett & Co. When Spencer died in 1890, the company was already among the leading wholesalers of hardware in the United States. In 1903, the year Hibbard died, the company opened a 10-story warehouse next to State Street Bridge in downtown Chicago. In 1932, the company introduced a new line of hand tools under the brand name "True Value".

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2174a-b

Description

Conditions

Date JUN 4,2014

Summary Fair

Assessor Dylan Kite

Notes Grime accumulation, significant dent, paint chipping, and wear to body.


Events

Provenance

Notes