visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Jewett & Sherman Co. Coffee Bin
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 002310

Object Name Jewett & Sherman Co. Coffee Bin

Object Desc Tin, painted coffee bin for the Jewett & Sherman Company. Has a lid that slides backward at front. Blue and red in color with graphic of child at front.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002132

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Coffee/Tea

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 7, Shelf 2

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range 1880s

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords Jewett & Sherman Company,Norton Brothers Company,coffee,bins,food storage,merchandise displays,displays,


Title Jewett & Sherman Co. Coffee Bin

Description Tin, painted bin for the Jewett & Sherman Co from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Top, left and right sides, back side and bottom are all black. Curved top front edge with lid that slides backward and porcelain knob at front. Lid is blue with gold painting, and text "Merchant Mills / Jewett & Sherman Co. / Milwaukee, Wis." At lower part of front side is painted design with image of child at center playing an instrument, but most of the image is scrached off. On edges of front there is painted floral design with gold accents. At top is rectangular shaped with mfg information "Norton Bros / Makers / Chicago. At front of top part is text at top "Pure" and a cut-out with rounded edges, looks as if something would fit inside, possibly product info. Interior is unfinished and silver in color.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 12

Length 0

Width 9.5

Depth 7

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 0

Material metal

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Norton Brothers Company

Maker Details For information on Jewett & Sherman - see notes section. Edwin Norton started his company in 1868 in Toledo, Ohio. In 1869-71 he added a partner and moved to Chicago. In 1873, the company was renamed as Norton Brothers when Edwin's brother Oliver joined the business. In 1885, the business was moved to Maywood, Illinois. This piece has "Chicago" printed under manufacturer information indicating that it was produced prior to 1885.

Maker Mark Top of piece - stenciled

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2132

Description

Conditions

Date MAY 27,2014

Summary poor

Assessor BN

Notes Overall, piece is dented and sits unevenly on table. Significant dents on top rectangular piece. Surface scratches throughout, with loss of paint layer. . On front at lower part of piece there is a rectangular section of paint that is scratched off. On the interior the metal is tarnished, scrached and worn. Areas of rust along edges of interior at bottom. On exterior, right side of piece it appears that it was repainted at some point as there is a distinct vertical line. Possibly painted to cover up significant surface scratches. On back side, significant dent at top edge. Black paint drip at top right corner. Left side is the same as right side with scratches and the other half has been repainted.


Events

Date MAY 27,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 7 from Room 4, Shelf 7 - automatic entry by admin


Date JUN 6,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 7, Shelf 17 from Room 7 - automatic entry by admin


Date JUN 13,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 7, Shelf 2 from Room 7, Shelf 17 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes

Date MAY 27,2014

Notes In 1867, the Jewett & Sherman Company was established in Milwaukee by Milo Jewett and William Sherman. In 1875, it was incorporated. The business was originally located on East Water Street and was a wholesale purveyor of coffee and spices. In 1875, the company moved to North Broadway in the Third Ward.