visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Richelieu Midas Orange Pekoe Tea tin
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 002083

Object Name Richelieu Midas Orange Pekoe Tea tin

Object Desc Tin for Richelieu Midas brand tea.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY001600

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Coffee/Tea

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range 1909

End Year Range 1945

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords Sprague, Warner & Co.,tins,tea,Richelieu Midas,beverages,


Title Richelieu Midas Orange Pekoe Tea tin

Description Small tin for Richelieu orange pekoe tea. Tin depicts an east asian landscape with a bridge over a small river, small houses off to the right side, and 3 people in a boat going downstream. The cover has a picture of a crane with the brand name.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 3.75

Length 2

Width 2

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Sprague, Warner & Co.

Maker Details The giant food company that was known by the end of the twentieth century as Sara Lee Corp. was the descendant of a Chicago grocery store called Sprague, Warner & Co. This enterprise, which started on State Street, was founded during the Civil War by Albert A. Sprague and Ezra J. Warner. By 1909, when it moved into a large new facility on Erie and Roberts Streets, Sprague, Warner & Co. was one of the leading wholesale grocery companies in the United States, famous for house brands such as “Richelieu” and “Batavia.” In 1942, this company was acquired by Nathan Cummings, the Canadian-born owner of C. D. Kenny Co., a large grocery enterprise based in Baltimore. The new Chicago-based company, at first called Sprague Warner-Kenny Corp., ranked as the largest grocery wholesaler in the United States. Annual sales grew from about $20 million in 1942 to $120 million by 1946. After changing its name in 1945 to Consolidated Grocers, Cummings's company became the Consolidated Foods Corp.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY1600

Description

Conditions

Date MAY 6,2014

Summary Poor

Assessor Ben Locke

Notes The tin has multiple scratches, rust, and edgewear. Small dents towards the top of the front of the tin.


Events

Date MAY 6,2014

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On Exhibit from On Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Date MAY 6,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit from H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes