portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail:
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Narragansett Brewery Dale Nichols print
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes


Object ID 001964

Object Name Narragansett Brewery Dale Nichols print

Object Desc Lithograph for the Narragansett Brewery based off a Dale Nichols print. Framed, matted and behind glass with cardboard backing. Image is of a frame during spring/summer. Yellow bar at right. Man with two horses on plow at lower left.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002068

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Advertising/Promo


Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991


Location 3rd Floor Hallway South

Object Date 1940

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords Narragansett Brewing Company,Nichols, Dale,lithographs,breweries,beer,advertising,posters,signs,

Title Narragansett Brewery/Dale Nichols print

Description Color lithographic print for the Narragensett Brewery. It is a reproduction of a Dale Nichols oil paint. Piece is has wood frame, edges of frame painted black. Underglass. Orange matting around print. Print appears to be on paper or possibly cardstock. Print depicts a farm. Blue sky with blue-green hills in background. Yellow barn at right with blue shed next to it. Tree at center. At lower left is Man with plow pulled by two horses. Dog running next to the. AT lower edge is artist's signature "Dale Nichols 40". To the right of that is text "Painted for the Famous NARRAGENSETT Brewery / Cranston, Rhode Island 1940". Cardboard backing with wire running across attached to frame with eyelet screws.


Approx Collection Date

Height 25.5

Length 0

Width 32.5

Depth 2.75

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 0



Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Narragansett Brewery/Dale Nichols

Maker Details See notes.

Maker Mark


(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2068



Date APR 11,2014

Summary good

Assessor BN

Notes Piece is heavy. Use caution when handling. Matting and enclosure is not archival. needs attention Lithograph overall in stable condition. At upper left quadrant there are some white markings, look to be scuff marks and wear. Scruff marks and surface wear throughout. Vertical scuff mark, about 4" over barn. Dent in paper above and to the left of the farmer. Discoloration at edges.Frame has edge wear. White scuff marks. Dust accretions. Dents and scratches in wood. On glass at lower left corner there is accretion which runs under wood. Accretion on the wood next to it - looks like liquid spill. On back side wire and eyelet screws are rusted. Paper backing has scuff marks, surface scraches and black staining. Around wood on back there are accretions and paper remnants from paper tap. Two holes at top center and at bottom center - possibly from prior hanging method. Metal tabs attach paper backing are causing wear and tears in paper.


Date APR 11,2014

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On-Site Collection Storage from On Exhibit - automatic entry by admin

Date APR 11,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to 3rd Floor Hallway South from Recruiting Center - automatic entry by admin



Date APR 11,2014

Notes Needs further research. Appears to be an original 1940 print, but unsure.

Date APR 11,2014

Notes In 1888, 6 men started the Narragansett Brewing Company. They produced the first beer in 1890 and in 1891 they incorporated. By the early 1900s, they were the largest brewery in New England. During Prohibition, they were able to manufacturer beer for medicinal purposes, but the company was still hit financially. Rudolf Haffrenreffer, Jr. and Theodore Haffrenreffer were approached by Narragansett to help with financing. They hired Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss) to design an icon for the company. Geisel created Cheif Cansett. After World War II, the company started extensive advertising campaigns. The brewery closed in 1981, but has recently reopened. The brewery grounds included a barn, stable, blacksmith, 75 horses and 45 wagons, gas-powered trucks, electric trucks, 35 refrigerated cars, and its own ice plant (

Date APR 11,2014

Notes Dale Nichols was an American artist. He is know for painting rural landscapes. He was bon in 1904 in David, City, Nebraska. He attended the Art Institute of Chiago and became the Carnegie visiting professor of art at the University of Illinois.