Object ID 001876
Object Name Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus poster
Object Desc Print advertisement for Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus. At top is text with show information. At bottom is blue background with image of clown face.
Collection General Collection
Accession # CMY002042
General Category History
Source Category Found In Collection
Accession Date JAN 1,1991
Location Room 7, Shelf 9
Object Date 1960s
Start Year Range
End Year Range
Status On-Site Collection Storage
Object Keywords advertising,posters,signs,circuses,Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus,
Title Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus poster
Description Color, print advertisement for Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus. Cardstock taped to cardboard backing. Encased in plastic sheeting with red tape.. At top is text in red with information on the show in Hartford, CT. The next line is paper sticker covering text underneath. At bottom in blue rectangular shape is text at top "Clyde / Beatty-Cole / Bros. / Combined / Circus". Below is image of clown to shoulders in yellow and red. At lower right corner is circle with text "The World's Largest Circus"
Approx Collection Date
Unit of Measure Inches/ounces
Place of Origin
Maker Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus
Date APR 1,2014
Notes The plastic enclousure and cardboard backing are not original or achival. Holes in all corners from display. Minor yellowing on white edges. Blue ink is faded at left edge. About 5" from top edge there is a crease in cardstock running horizontally across page. Back of sign has masking tape around edges. Cardboard is yellowed and stained.
Date APR 17,2014
Summary Location change
Notes Location changed to Room 7, Shelf 9 from Room 7, Shelf 2 - automatic entry by admin
Date APR 1,2014
Notes In 1870, William Cole started the W.W. Cole Circus. When he died in 1915, his estate was valued at $5 million, making him the first circus millionaire. In 1906, Martin Downs purchased the circus and changed the name to Cole Bros. Circus. It continued to increase in success and by 1935 it had 35 rail cars. Clyde Beatty started as a cage boy, and in 1935 worked with the Cole Bros. Circus. In 1943, Beatty worked with the Clyde Beatty-Russell Bros. Circus. In 1945, he purchased the Wallace Bros. Circus, a truck show, and opened the Clyde Beatty Circus. This became a rail show, but folded in 1956. In 1957, after it was purchased by Acme Circus Operating Corporation it joined with Cole Bros., which was also owned by Acme. Beatty died in 1965, and by the 1970s, the name was taken off. Today the Cole Bros. Circus still runs in Florida.