visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Al G. Barnes Circus poster
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001855

Object Name Al G. Barnes Circus poster

Object Desc Paper, print advertisement for Al G. Barnes Circus. Divided into three sections each with photograph. At top center is image of Al G. Barnes, next photo are two elephants, and bottom is image of horses and people.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002032

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Advertising/Promo

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 7, Shelf 16

Object Date

Start Year Range 1921

End Year Range 1936

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords circuses,Al G. Barnes Circus,advertising,signs,Tusko the Elephant,posters,American Circus Corporation,portraits,photographs,illustrations,


Title Al G. Barnes Circus poster

Description Print advertisement for the Al G. Barnes Circus, enclosed in plastic with cardboard backing. White paper with black and red text. Divided into four sections. At top is red rectangle with text "Al. G. Barnes / Quality Circus / of the world / Larger and Better than ever". The next section has photograph of Al G. Barnes at center with three tigers drawn at top. Text surrounds photograph. Next section is image of two elephants with text to left "Tusko / and the / Mightly Tusko..." continues down the side. Last section is drawing of two circus rings with horses and people. at bottom is text "Klinkerts Equestrian Midgets"

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 30

Length 0

Width 13.25

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 0

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Al G. Barnes Circus

Maker Details See Notes.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2032

Description

Conditions

Date MAR 27,2014

Summary fair

Assessor BN

Notes Needs to be removed from plastic enclosure. Not original or archival. Paper advertisement is yellowed and discolored on edges. Edges are worn with minor tears and signs of loss. The red ink is slightly faded. Horizontal crease at center. At right edge just above center there is a piece of cellophane tape. At lower right edge just above corner there is a large piece of cellophane tape. Tear in paper from bottom edge just to the left of the right corner vertically about 6". Tear at left side near bottom edge about 2" from left edge and tear runs about 2.5". Cellophane tape in all four corners to attach the advertisement to cardbaord backing. Plastic enclosureis worn with yellowed edges from tape. Holes in corners and top and bottom at center from display. The back side is sealed with 11 piece of white duct tape.


Events

Date MAR 27,2014

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On-Site Collection Storage from On Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Date MAR 27,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 7, Shelf 2 from Wonderland Park Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Date APR 18,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 7, Shelf 16 from Room 7, Shelf 2 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes

Date MAR 28,2014

Notes In 1895, Alpheus George Barnes Stonehouse started the Al G. Barnes Circus with only a poney, phonograph, and steroption. In 1914-1919, the circus was located in Venice, CA. In 1920, he purchased 120 acres of land between Venice & Culver, CA for winter lodgings. By 1923, he opened a zoo in Venice. By 1929, the circus was 5-ring size and was purchased by the American Circus Corporation along with the Sells-Floto Circus, John Robinson Shows, and Sparks Circus. This was also the same year that John N. Ringling purchased the American Circus Corporation. During the Great Depression, most of the circuses that were a part of the American Circus Corporation closed. In 1937, the Al G. Barnes Circus added Sells-Floto to its name. The company stopped touring after 1938. The circus did have large, male elephants. One was named Tusko, who at one point escaped from the circus on May 15, 1922 in Sedro-Woolley, WA and stomped through the town. He torn down fences, telephone poles and destroyed a Model T Ford. A total of $20,000 that the circus paid out.