visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Carter's Ink
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001762

Object Name Carter's Ink

Object Desc Square, glass bottle of ink with round, black metal screw on lid. Paper label on front for Carter's midnight black ink.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY002011a-b

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Stationery Items

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 7, Shelf 10

Object Date 1940s

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords ink,fountain pens,Carter's Ink Company,Victory Mail,World War II,ink bottles,writing,


Title Carter's Ink

Description Square, glass bottle with paper label on front. Metal, black screw on lid at top. Label has image of four geese flying in front of a moon. At top right corner are numbers "836'. At left of birds is text "Midnight / Black / Permanent". Below is red stripe with text, "for V...- Mail". Indicating it was for Victory Mail. At bottom of label is text "Carter's Ink / Finest for Fountain Pens / 2 oz. / Made in U.S.A.". Dried ink inside bottle

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 2.25

Length 0

Width 2

Depth 1.75

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 0

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Carter's Ink Company

Maker Details In 1858, William Carter founded the William Carter Company in Boston, MA. In 1860, Edward Carter, his brother, joined and they changed the company name to William Carter and Bro. Eventually another brother, John H. Carter, and a cousin, John W. Carter, joined the company. In 1872, the entire firm was destroyed in the Great Boston Fire. Following that John W. Carter and James P. Dinsmore purchased the ink division of the company and started Cater, Dinsmore and Company. By 1884, it became the largest ink producer in the work. In 1895, the company incorporated and became the Carter's Ink Company. In 1975, the company was purchased by Dennison Manufacturing Company, now Avery-Dennison.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY2011a-b

Description

Conditions

Date MAR 14,2014

Summary fair

Assessor BN

Notes Surface scratches on top and edges of lid. On bottle, label has white dirt along bottom edge. Edges of label are worn. Along top of label on the glass there is some small spots of brown accretion. Interior of jar has dry ink. Ink has stained the interior. Small scraches on interior of glass from use.


Events

Provenance

Notes

Date MAR 14,2014

Notes The "V...-Mail" notation on the ink indicates the ink could be used for Victory Mail during World War II. This process including microfilming special types of letter sheets to save space on cargo ships. The letters were then "blown up" at their destination and delivered. Instead of 37 mail bags for 150,000 letters, 1 mail bag could be used which weighed only 45 pounds. http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/exhibits/2d2a_vmail.html