visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Kildow's Old Stock Cigar Box
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001589

Object Name Kildow's Old Stock Cigar Box

Object Desc Large cigar box for Kildow's Old Stock cigars. Tax stamp shows that it held 250 cigars.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY001294

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Tobacco Products

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Tobacco Exhibit North Shelf 6

Object Date

Start Year Range 1901

End Year Range 1910

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords cigars,smoking,tobacco,W. H. Kildow Cigar Company,Kildow's Old Stock,boxes,


Title Kildow's Old Stock Cigar Box

Description Wooden cigar box with blue trim and text reading: "Kildow's Old Stock." This box has a top lid that flips up, and a smaller lid on the front panel that flips down to create a sale display. When opened, interior features brighter read text on a blue backdrop, indicating the brand, company, and price for the cigars. "Beware of imitation" printed inside.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 5.25

Length 14.5

Width 4.75

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker W. H. Kildow Cigar Company

Maker Details W.H. Kildow founded the W.H. Kildow Cigar Company in Tiffin, Ohio in 1892. Originally, Kildow operated the business as a cigar manufacturing enterprise and was largely successful. In the 1920s, Kildow's son, T. Monroe Kildow, joined his father's business and, eventually, would take over the reins of the company. By the 1940s, the company had become involved in the wholesale cigar business. Again, the company was quite successful. Indeed, by the 1960s, the company, now permanently under the tutelage of T. Monroe Kildow, was distributing to 1,000 retail outlets in 10 Ohio counties.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY1294

Description

Conditions

Date FEB 26,2014

Summary Poor

Assessor Ben Locke

Notes The lid on the box is warped, and much of the paper trim is flaking away. Edgewear throughout. Paper on parts of the interior has some tearing and water stains.


Events

Date MAR 25,2014

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On Exhibit from On-Site Collection Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date MAR 25,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Tobacco Exhibit North Shelf 6 from Cabinet 1, Shelf 2 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes