visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Pacific Peanut Butter can
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001563

Object Name Pacific Peanut Butter can

Object Desc Gold color tin bucket with black label. The tin bucket once contained Pacific Peanut Butter manufactured by The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY001275

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Food Containers

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords peanut butter,A&P,tins,Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea,Pacific Peanut Butter,cans,food,


Title Pacific Peanut Butter can

Description Gold color tin bucket with black label. The tin bucket once contained Pacific Peanut Butter manufactured by The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 9

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 10.5

Circumference 32

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company.

Maker Details The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, better known as A&P, is a supermarket and liquor store chain in the United States. What is now A&P began in 1859; it established a small chain of retail tea and coffee stores in New York City and a national mail order business. It grew to 70 stores by 1878. In the late 19th century, A&P, still a tea and coffee company, became the country's first grocery chain. At the turn of the century, it operated almost 200 stores. The company grew dramatically after introducing the economy store concept in 1912, growing to 1,600 stores in 1915. After World War I, the company opened stores offering meat and produce. In 1930 the company, now the world's largest retailer, reached $1 billion in sales with 16,000 stores. In 1936, A&P adopted the self-serve supermarket concept and opened 4,000 larger stores by 1950

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY001275

Description

Conditions

Date FEB 23,2014

Summary very good

Assessor Dulce Ramos

Notes Tin has minor scratches.


Events

Provenance

Notes