visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Box with Glass Slides
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001285

Object Name Box with Glass Slides

Object Desc A card board box that contains glass slides that was manufactured by Ernst Leitz Inc.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY001099

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Medical

Source

Source Category Donation

Accession Date DEC 22,2013

Credit/Acknowledgement Gift of Gloria Boyell

Location Dr. Joseph Eisenberg Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords medicine,slides,Ernst Leitz Inc,clinics,doctors,physicians,medical equipment,


Title Box with Glass Slides

Description A cardboard box containg glass slides for a mircoscope. It was manufactured by Ernst Leitz Inc. The box is brown and has no outside labels. There are two clasps on the front side of the box to hold the two pieces together. On the inside of the box underneath the cover is a ledger that has 100 dotted lines in two collumns. At the top it says "Object Register" in bold black words. On the bottom its says "Ernst Leitz 30 East 18th Street New York." On the bottom side of the box contains wood slots holding 94 glass slides that are labels with white tape. The wood inside the box is number of the edges to 100. The wood insert can be taken out, but the glass slides will fall out if done.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 1

Length 10.25

Width 8

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details The glass slides are 3x1 inches.

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Ernst Leitz Inc

Maker Details The company of Ernst Leitz had its origin in the Optical Institute founded by Karl Kellner in Wetzlar, Germany. The earlier Leitz trade catalogues give the date of establishment as 1850 but by the early twentieth century, Leitz publications put the date at 1849.In 1865, Belthle hired an engineer, Ernst Leitz (1843-1920), who became his partner a year later. Leitz took over the company upon Belthle's death in 1869, and renamed it the Optical Institute of Ernst Leitz. Leitz was only 26 years old at the time.Between 1889 and 1911, the Leitz company introduced still projectors, cinematic projectors, binoculars, and other optical equipment to their line of goods. A sales office was opened in New York City in 1892, and later became known as E. Leitz, U.S.A. By 1910, the Leitz company was producing 9000 microscopes per year and had a workforce of 950 people. In 1997, the Leica group was split into Leica Microsystems and Leica Geosystems.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY001099

Description

Conditions

Date JAN 22,2014

Summary Good

Assessor Brooke Uhl

Notes The box has stains and edge wear. There are outward dents on the sides of the box. The "Object Registar" is stained as well. Not all the glass slides are in the box. Six are missing.


Events

Provenance

Notes