visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
M.H. Renken Dairy half pint milk bottle
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001255

Object Name M.H. Renken Dairy half pint milk bottle

Object Desc A clear empty glass milk bottle that was made by M.H. Renken Dairy Co.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY001075

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Dairy

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Room 4, Shelf 14

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On-Site Collection Storage

Object Keywords milk,dairy,M. H. Renken Dairy Company,bottles,


Title M.H. Renken Dairy half pint milk bottle

Description a clear empty glass milk bottle that was manufactured by M.H. Renken Dairy Company. The glass bottle has embossed letters on two sides. "M.H. Renken Dairy Co. Established 1888." is written on either side. The bottle lip of the bottle says "Half Pint liquid and Sealed O E." The bottom of the bottle has an embossed R.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 5.25

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 2.25

Circumference 8

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details 1.75" diameter of the bottle opening. 5.5" circumference of the bottle neck.

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker M. H. Renken Dairy Company

Maker Details One of the major milk players was German immigrant Martin H. Renken, who founded the dairy in 1888 and moved it to Clinton Hill in 1932. It eventually became the third-largest dairy in the city and pasteurized and bottled more than seven million quarts of fresh milk annually. One of several such businesses in the borough, the Renken Dairy’s location in Clinton Hill created a local source for the processing and supply of milk from farms outside the city for distribution to the local population. Since milk was considered a vital part of children’s diets, sources of clean, healthful milk were crucial to neighborhoods where families lived. Before easy refrigeration, it was necessary to build these processing plants throughout the city. Dairies and their milkmen were a fundamental part of the lives of most children at that time. The plant shut down in 1959 and housed a variety of businesses afterward.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY001075

Description

Conditions

Date JAN 17,2014

Summary Excellent

Assessor Brooke Uhl

Notes A part from the lid missing. The bottle has little edge wear.


Events

Date JAN 17,2014

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On-Site Collection Storage from On Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Date JAN 17,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 9 from H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Date JUL 24,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 4, Shelf 18 from Room 9 - automatic entry by admin


Date AUG 7,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 4, Shelf 13 from Room 4, Shelf 18 - automatic entry by admin


Date AUG 29,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 4, Shelf 12 from Room 4, Shelf 13 - automatic entry by admin


Date AUG 29,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Room 4, Shelf 14 from Room 4, Shelf 12 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes