Object ID 001254
Object Name Box of Parke Davis gelatin capsules
Object Desc Box of 5,000 empty gelatin capsules manufactured by Parke, Davis & Co.
Collection General Collection
Accession # CMY001074a-b
General Category History
Source Category Donation
Accession Date JAN 14,2014
Credit/Acknowledgement Gloria Boyell
Location Dr. Joseph Eisenberg Exhibit
Start Year Range
End Year Range
Status On Exhibit
Object Keywords gelatin capsules,Parke, Davis & Co.,pharmacy,medicine,capsules,
Title Box of Parke Davis gelatin capsules
Description Cardboard box originally containing 5,000 empty gelatin capsules manufactured by Parke, Davis & Co. of Detroit, Michigan. Box still contains a large amount of the empty capsules. Label on side has words written in both English and Spanish.
Approx Collection Date
Unit of Measure Inches/ounces
Dimension Details The above measurements are for the box itself. Each gelatin capsule measures 3/4 inch.
Place of Origin
Maker Parke, Davis & Co.
Maker Details Parke-Davis was founded in Detroit, Michigan by Dr. Samuel P. Duffield, a physician and pharmacist. A partnership of Dr. Duffield and Hervey Coke Parke was formed in 1866, with George S. Davis becoming a third partner in 1867. Duffield withdrew in 1869, and the name Parke, Davis & Company was formally adopted in 1871, being incorporated in 1875. It was once the world's largest pharmaceutical company, and is credited with building the first modern pharmaceutical laboratory and developing the first systematic methods of performing clinical trials of new medications. Parke-Davis was acquired by Warner-Lambert in 1970, which in turn was bought by Pfizer in 2000.
Date JAN 17,2014
Assessor Molly Hannan
Notes The box has some edge wear, denting, tearing and discoloration. Capsules are inside and appear to be in excellent codition.
Date JAN 17,2014
Summary Location change
Notes Location changed to Dr. Jospeh Eisenberg Exhibit from Augusta Hart Shoestore Exhibit - automatic entry by admin