visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Bugler Cigarette Tobacco Can
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001242

Object Name Bugler Cigarette Tobacco Can

Object Desc An empty light blue and navy blue can that used to contain tobacco made by the Brown and Williamson Company.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY001065

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Tobacco Products

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Tobacco Exhibit North Shelf 5

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords Brown & Williamson,tobacco,Bugler brand,cigarettes,smoking,tins,


Title Bugler Cigarette Tobacco Can

Description Bugler brand metal tobacco tin. Tin has seafoam green, blue, and cream colored printing on exterior. Front and back of cylindrical tin has a image of a military bugler with the words "Bugler, Blended Turkish & Domestic Cigarette Tobacco" printed on it. Net weight of 7 oz. Sides of tin say: "Bugler, A High Grade Blend of Cigarette Tobaccos." Beneath these words is a with a Union Made stamp. Other side of the tin has a white arrow pointing towards where the lid would have been saying "Easy-open top vaccum sealed." Below it has Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., The mark of quality in tobacco products, Louisville, KY, U.S.A.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 5.5

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 5

Circumference 12.5

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corporation

Maker Details Brown & Williamson was founded in Winston (today's Winston-Salem), North Carolina, as a partnership of George T. Brown and his brother-in-law Robert Lynn Williamson, whose father was already operating two chewing tobacco manufacturing facilities.Initially, the new partnership took over one of the elder Williamson's factories. In February 1894 the new company, calling itself Brown & Williamson, hired 30 workers and began manufacturing in a leased facility. In 1927 the Brown and Williamson families sold the business to London-based British American Tobacco. The business was reorganized as the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corporation. Manufacturing and distribution were expanded, and work on a new B&W factory in Louisville was begun. Brown & Williamson had its headquarters at Louisville, Kentucky until July 30, 2004, when the U.S. operations of Brown & Williamson merged with R.J. Reynolds, creating a new publicly traded parent company, Reynolds American Inc.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY001065

Description

Conditions

Date JAN 16,2014

Summary Excellent

Assessor Brooke Uhl

Notes A part from the lid missing, the container is has some edge wear along the seams.


Events

Date FEB 20,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Cabinet 1, Shelf 3 from Cabinet 1 - automatic entry by admin


Date MAR 25,2014

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to On Exhibit from On-Site Collection Storage - automatic entry by admin


Date MAR 25,2014

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Tobacco Exhibit North Shelf 5 from Cabinet 1, Shelf 3 - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes