Object ID 001204
Object Name Dr. Miles Tonic Bottle
Object Desc An empty glass bottle with cork that used to contain tonic made by Dr. Miles Medical Company.
Collection General Collection
Accession # CMY001032a-b
General Category History
Source Category Found In Collection
Accession Date JAN 1,1991
Location Bay View Pharmacy
Start Year Range
End Year Range
Status On Exhibit
Object Keywords medicine,tonic,Dr. Miles Medical Co.,elixsor,
Title Dr. Miles Tonic Bottle
Description The iteam is an empty bottle with a cork that used to contain tonic. It was made by the Dr. Miles Medical Company. The bottle has a paper label on the front and raised letters on the back of the bottle. The front label has an image of two faces looking away from eachother. Above the image in bold black letters Dr. Miles Tonic. Below the image in smaller words the bottle contains 10% alcohol and was prepared at the Dr. Miles Medical Co. Laboratory in Elkhart, Indiana. In a black border box lists the number of treatments the tonic can be used for such as anmemia, choloris, overwork, etc. The dose is 1-2 tsp at meal times. Contains 8 fl oz. The back has raised lettering that says Dr. Miles Medical Company. It is patent by the US. It used to have a pamphlet that went around the bottle.
Approx Collection Date
Unit of Measure Inches/ounces
Dimension Details The cork is 1 inche long, .75 in diameter and 1.25 inches in circumference.
Place of Origin
Maker Dr. Miles Medical Company
Maker Details By 1890, the sales success of his patent medicine tonic, Dr. Miles' Nervine, in treating "nervous" ailments led him to develop a mail order medicine business. Miles also published Medical News, a thinly disguised marketing vehicle for Nervine. Nervine remained on the market as a "calmative" until the late 1960s. In 1935, the name of the company was changed to Miles Laboratories. In 1979, Bayer AG, whose original U.S. and Canadian aspirin business was seized as enemy property during World War I and subsequently sold as enemy assets, purchased Miles Laboratories and its subsidiary Miles Canada to reestablish a presence in North America. In 1992, Bayer AG moved the United States headquarters of Miles to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from Elkhart, and on April 1, 1995 Bayer eliminated the Miles brand name from all products and facilities after Bayer acquired Sterling Winthrop the previous year, thus reclaiming the North American rights to Bayer's name and trademarks as well as Bayer Aspirin.
Date JAN 12,2014
Summary Very Good
Assessor Brooke Uhl
Notes Some edge wear on the label and some staining in the bottle.
Date JAN 12,2014
Summary Location change
Notes Location changed to Bay View Pharmacy from Candy exhibit - automatic entry by admin