visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Quinin Tannas apothecary bottle
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001123

Object Name Quinin Tannas apothecary bottle

Object Desc Glass bottle with glass corkwith label stating Quinin Tannas.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY000985a-b

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Medical

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Bay View Pharmacy

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords Quinin Tannas,Whitall Tatum Company,medicine,apothecary bottles,drug stores,pharmacy,glassware,bottles,


Title Quinin Tannas apothecary bottle

Description The bottle is a with a glass cork. It has a label that says Quinin. Tannas with some gold coloring etched in and around the label. On the bottom of the glass bottle is raised writing stating that the bottle was patent on April 2 1889 for the W.T. and Co.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 6.75

Length 2

Width 2

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details 5.25 inches: Circumference of the neck. 1 inch in diameter for the top of the glass cork. about 2 inches in diameter for the neck where the cork sits.

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker W.T. and Co.

Maker Details The Whitall Tatum Company was one of the first glass factories in America. Located in Millville, New Jersey from 1806 through 1938. The Millville glass works was founded by James Lee and went through several changes of ownership. In 1838, John M Whitall became a partner in the business. He lived in Philadelphia and worked at the company's headquarters there. In 1845 after his brother Israel Franklin Whitall joined, the firm became Whitall, Brother & Company. Later, Edward Tatum also joined the partnership and in 1857 the name was again changed to Whitall Tatum & Company and later in 1900 to Whitall Tatum Company. Whitall Tatum mass-produced special-order prescription bottles for hundreds of pharmacies embossed with their names and addresses and also marked "W.T. & Co." on the base. These mostly date from 1875 up to 1900. Armstrong Cork Corporation purchased Whitall-Tatum in 1938. Production continued after a 1969 purchase by Kerr Glass Manufacturing Co. until about 1976.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY985A-B

Description

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY985a-b

Description

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY985a-b

Description

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY985A-B

Description

Conditions

Date JAN 3,2014

Summary Very Good

Assessor Brooke Uhl

Notes Glass bottle is a bit dirty. The label has some edge wear especially along the bottom left side.


Events

Provenance

Notes