visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Mead's Dextri-Maltose can
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 001033

Object Name Mead's Dextri-Maltose can

Object Desc Metal can originally containing Mead's Dextri-Maltose infant formula.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY000907

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Food Containers

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit

Object Date 1939

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords infant formula,Mead Johnson & Company,food,cans,dextri-maltose,


Title Mead's Dextri-Maltose can

Description Metal cylindrical tin originally containing Mead's Dextri-Maltose infant food. Can has sides painted cream with burgundy trim. Tin describes product as "a product consisting of maltose and dextrose, resulting from the enzymic action of barley malt on cereal starch." Can contained 5 lbs. of the product. Manufactured in the USA by Mead Johnson & Co of Evansville, Indiana. Contents were to be dissolved in water or milk and then fed to infant.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 8.5

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 6

Circumference 19.25

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Mead Johnson & Company

Maker Details Edward Mead Johnson had founded Johnson & Johnson in 1886 together with his brothers. In 1895, Johnson developed a side business called The American Ferment Company to create a digestive aid. In 1897, E. Mead Johnson left the family business to go out into business on his own in Jersey City, New Jersey, and in 1905, the company was re-established as Mead Johnson & Company. The firm's first major infant formula was developed in 1910, and Dextri-Maltose, a carbohydrate-based milk modifier was introduced in 1911, making it the first American product for infants to be clinically approved and recommended by doctors. The firm moved to Evansville, Indiana, in 1915, in the wake of World War I, as part of an effort to have easier access to the raw agricultural ingredients that were needed for its products, which required Johnson to build a series of new plants and factories to replace the ones he had left behind in New Jersey.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY907

Description

Conditions

Date OCT 23,2013

Summary Good

Assessor Molly Hannan

Notes Tin shows some minimal signs of wear. Some areas of exterior surface have scratches and discoloration. Lid is firmly in place and was not opened. Tin is free of rust.


Events

Provenance

Notes