visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Wagner's Ice Cream sign
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 000887

Object Name Wagner's Ice Cream sign

Object Desc Rectangular metal sign advertising Wagner's Ice Cream. Yellow background with blue writing and colorful pictures of ice cream products.

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY000803

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Advertising/Promo

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Coat Closet

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords ice cream,Wagner's Ice Cream,signs,advertising,shop signs,


Title Wagner's Ice Cream sign

Description Advertising sign is made of metal. Background is yellow with a blue thin border around. On top in blue capital letters, it says "Eat Wagner's Ice Cream "It's Good" and "Freeport, Ill." below that. Below that, there is a picture of a dark wooden tray with a malted drink glass with a metal spoon in it, a dish of brick neapolitan ice cream with a metal spoon, another dish with a cone shaped vanilla and strawberry ice cream also with a metal spoon and a glass of Strawberry sundae. There are six perforated holes along the edges where to hang the sign from.The back of the sign is black and has a piece of tan tape on the left upper corner with two words that I can't make up and the price "2.00" written.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 0

Length 19.5

Width 13.5

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Wagner

Maker Details In 1902 Thomas Wagner who was son of German immigrants, and wife Julia purchased the Hoffman farm on the northwest corner of Lake and Wagner Roads now known as Wagner Farm in present-day Glenview,IL.Thomas and Julia had five children and four of them remained on the farm their entire lives. The farm was operated continuously by the children until the last member of the family died in 1997. The Glenview Park District was able to pass a referendum in 1998 and finally purchased the farm in 2000 with the goal to preserve the history that represents Glenview's agricultural heritage. Today the site is operated as a working and interpretive farm to preserve the history of family farming in the community during a time period from the 1920's to the 1950's. Wagner farm was a family-owned dairy farm that had other animals in addittion to cows. It is not clear whether or not the farm made ice cream during a certain time period, or if their milk was used to make the ice cream advertised here.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY803

Description

Conditions

Date AUG 2,2013

Summary Good

Assessor Samanta Pugh

Notes There are six original holes where to hang the sign from Sign has some dents, three small ones on the right lower corner near the hole, two small ones around the center lower hole and one small around the left lower hole. There is another dent on the lower part of the malted drink glass. On both the right and left upper corners, the metal is a little bent upwards. The sign has scratches on several areas, some which removed the paint a little bit. Dirt smudges are also present mainly on the yellow background part. The paint has also come off on all areas around the six perforated holes. The black back of the sign also has superficial scratches and some dirt smudges all throughout.


Events

Date AUG 2,2013

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit from Barber Shop Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Date AUG 2,2013

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to Coat Closet from H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit - automatic entry by admin


Provenance

Notes