visit musarch.com
portions Copyright © 2011 by the Museum Archive software project ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: support@musarch.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Chudnow Museum
Chudnow Museum
Shoe parts in Ball Ideal jar
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Provenance
  6. Notes

Details

Object ID 000516

Object Name Shoe parts in Ball Ideal jar

Object Desc Clear mason jar made by Ball. Jar contains several small black fasteners or clips used in shoe manufacture. Marked "pat'd July 14, 1908."

Collection General Collection

Accession # CMY000491a-b

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Shoes

Source

Source Category Found In Collection

Accession Date JAN 1,1991

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location Augusta Hart Shoestore Exhibit

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status On Exhibit

Object Keywords shoes,footwear,Ball Brothers Glass Mfg. Co.,glassware,jars,


Title Shoe parts in Ball Jar

Description Clear glass mason jar with glass lid and metal piece to hold lid in place. Jar is marked Ball Ideal and pat'd July 14, 1908. Jar contains several small black fasteners used in shoe manufacture.

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 0

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 3.5

Circumference 12.25

Weight 0

Unit of Measure Inches/ounces

Dimension Details

Quantity 1

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker Ball Brothers Company

Maker Details The Mason jar was invented and patented in 1858 by Philadelphia tinsmith John Landis Mason.[1][2] Among other common names for them are Ball jars,[3] after Ball Corporation, an early and prolific manufacturer of the jars;The most common U.S. brands of Mason jars are Ball and Kerr.[citation needed] Both are now part of the Jarden corporation based in New York. The Ball brothers were five American industrialists and philanthropists, responsible for founding the Ball Corporation, first went into business together in 1880. he first factory to produce canning jars, known sometimes as "Ball jars"[2] due to their prolific manufacture and use, was opened in 1888. the brothers Lucius Lorenzo, William Charles, Edmund Burke, Frank Clayton, and George Alexander Ball.

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption CMY491a-b

Description

Conditions

Date MAR 8,2013

Summary fair

Assessor Katie Wells

Notes metal handle fairly rusty. next to the word Ball on the right there is a rather large rust stain around 2.5 wide irregularrly shaped.. as well on the back there are various smudges also to the right of Ball.


Events

Provenance

Notes