Object ID 000241
Object Name Kellogg Phone
Object Desc Kellogg hand-crank phone model 20163.
Collection General Collection
Accession # CMY000194
General Category History
Source Category Found In Collection
Accession Date JAN 1,1991
Location H. Grafman Grocery Exhibit
Start Year Range
End Year Range
Status On Exhibit
Object Keywords telephone,Kellogg,phone,wall phone,
Title Kellogg Phone
Description Hand-crank telephone by Kellogg. Model 20163. Oak case with two metal bells and metal receiver. Reciever stamped on front with "Kellogg" and back with "Kellogg Chicago, U.S.A. Pat'd. Nov 26 1901". Earpiece stamped with "Leigh Electric Co., Genoa Ill." Wooden shelf for notes below receiver. Inside front cover is number 20163 and a paper schematic for wiring instructions.
Approx Collection Date
Unit of Measure Inches/ounces
Dimension Details All measurements are including the wall mount, shelf and extremitites.
Material wood; metal
Place of Origin
Maker Details The Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Company was founded in 1897 by Milo G. Kellogg after Alexander Graham Bell's telephone patents expired in 1893 and 1894. Primarily a manufacturer of equipment for independent telephone companies, Kellogg was known for its superior switchboard technology and beautifully designed Art Deco phones of the 1930s and '40s. The company competed with Western Electric and the Bell System before being absorbed into ITT in 1951.
Date JAN 23,2015
Assessor Kayla Sutherland
Notes Some corrosion on metal parts. Still works, rings when crank is turned.